Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Ode to Tuck


Ode to Tuck by Teena Marie Fancey
original acrylic on board, ashes of my dear friend


I wanted to share this piece that I painted for an exhibit that opened a few months ago at Eastern Edge Gallery in St. John's NL. The exhibit is called David Tuck: Friends and Ashes. This exhibit featured the work of 28 friends and artists of the late David Tuck's who were invited to remember David who often said he'd love to have his ashes painted into a masterpiece. All of the participating Artists received a portion of David's ashes and were to incorporate them into a work to honour and remember David and his own work as an Artist. My piece is simply titled " Ode to Tuck" and David's ashes were mixed with medium and paint to create the texture in the water, sky, and the fish. For those of you who knew David and his work, I hope you enjoy. I wish I could have been at the Gallery last night to celebrate our friend, but I'm very glad I got to participate from afar.

It was no doubt the most interesting work I've done to date. While I painted, I had David's photo next to my easel. Sometimes I turned him around so he couldn't see the mess I was making with his ashes :( But, he would have loved watching that and I'd like to think he was. Salute, my dear friend.